Kyle Richards is recovering after suffering a serious allergic reaction.
The 52-year-old Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills Star shared Sunday on Instagram that she had to go to the hospital after being stung repeatedly when she ‘walked into a hive of bees.’
Making the terrifying encounter even worse was the fact that her EpiPen, which is used to combat severe allergic reactions, appeared to be defective and wouldn’t work.
Health scare: Kyle Richards, 52, revealed Sunday on Instagram that she was hospitalized the day before after she ran into a bee hive and was stung repeatedly
Kyle broke the news to her fans with a photo of herself appearing to breathe through either an oxygen mask or a nebulizer to treat her allergic reaction.
‘So this happened yesterday … I walked into a hive of bees and was stung multiple times. If you know me at all you know I am allergic to bees and terrified of them,’ she admitted in her caption.
The terrifying event was even worse in security camera footage she shared, which showed her running away from the swarm of bees following close behind.
‘I can laugh at this video now but what you can’t see is that they were in my hair and were literally chasing me,’ she wrote over footage showing her running from the side of the house to the backyard pool.
All alone: The terrifying event was even worse in security camera footage she shared, which showed her running away from the swarm of bees following close behind
Taking a dip: Next, she dips her hair into the pool to get rid of the bees, before deciding it’s not enough and hurling herself into the pool
She appears to have a white mask on and stops by the back door and pauses, before bending down to flip her hair back in hopes of fling the remaining bees free.
‘My family wasn’t home and for whatever reason the people that work for me couldn’t hear me screaming for help,’ she continued. ‘My landline wouldn’t dial 911 and my epi pen was defective and wouldn’t open.’
A follow-up clip was caption ‘This is the part I can laugh at now’ and shows her first dipping her hands into the pool to try to get rid of the bees that were clinging to her hair.
‘I was screaming, “Help me, help me, oh my God.” That’s when I was trying to get the big stinger out of my hand,’ she says while looking back over the camera footage.
Wetting her hair didn’t seem to be enough, so after a pause, she hurled herself into the pool, making sure to totally submerge her head several times.
Kyle later added that her narration sounded ‘out of it’ because she had just gotten back from the hospital when she filmed the clip.
Scary: To make matters worse, her EpiPen was defective and her landline wouldn’t dial 911. She urged people with severe allergies to always carry their epinephrine pens
Another closeup from the hospital showed the Halloween actress with a red splotch on her forehead, which appeared to be from one of the stings.
She hoped her ordeal would be a wakeup call to others with severe allergies.
‘I share this story with you because I sometimes don’t bother to take my epi pen with me. I also don’t know why I couldn’t get mine to work,’ she wrote.
Kyle urged others to educate themselves on using the epinephrine devices and suggested they get emergency help even if they’ve already used the device, which mirrors recommendations from the Mayo Clinic and other healthcare resources.
‘It’s important to look on you tube and watch the videos of how to use it. There are different types of epi pens and they each work differently,’ she continued. ‘But also always call 911 even if you are able to use your epi pen as they have other medications to help breathing etc.’
Evicted: After the ordeal, Kyle showed a photo of the bees wandering around, writing that ‘These guys’ were going to be ‘moved from my property ASAP.’
Just their job: A text post thanked the Los Angeles Fire Department Fire Station 83 and the Encino Hospital Medical Center ‘for responding so fast and taking such good care of me’
EpiPen is a brand-name version of an epinephrine injection device, a marker-sized tube with a tiny needle that should be pressed against the outside of the thigh until it clicks, according to the manufacturer.
Epinephrine is more commonly known by the name adrenaline, and the naturally occurring stimulant can help ease a severe allergic reaction.
After the ordeal, Kyle showed a photo of the bees wandering around, writing that ‘These guys’ were going to be ‘moved from my property ASAP.’
A bright red text post thanked the Los Angeles Fire Department Fire Station 83 and the Encino Hospital Medical Center ‘for responding so fast and taking such good care of me,’ she wrote. ‘Including helping me through my panic attack. And for repeatedly having to convince me there were no more bees in my hair.’