Hello again, friends! It’s Tuesday in Miami and I’m back in your inbox to get you caught up on all the most important things happening in the community today. Because community information is power! Keep scrolling for the scoop.
First, today’s weather:
A thunderstorm in spots. High: 86 Low: 78.
🏡 Looking for more real estate leads in Miami? Let us help you reach prospective home buyers and stand out from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories today in Miami:
1. Related Group has submitted plans for the 15-story Icon Residences in North Miami, according to Biscayne Times. Icon Residences North Miami is proposed to have 54 condo units. (The Next Miami)
2. The Coconut Grove Arts Festival Board of Directors (CGAF) has selected and awarded 16 graduating seniors attending high-school magnet programs in Miami-Dade County with a record $56,000 in scholarship funding. Fund 4 Design & Art Education has assisted CGAF in selecting some of Miami-Dade’s best arts students since 2013. (Miami’s Community News)
3. A Miami-Dade Police officer has been placed on desk duty and an investigation is underway after he was recorded telling a Black man “this is how you guys get killed out here,” during a traffic stop. (NBC Miami)
4. A state panel will soon decide whether or not they will revoke Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony’s law enforcement certification. Tony is accused of omitting he was acquitted of a murder in Philadelphia in 1993 when he was 14 years old. (WPLG Local 10)
5. Looking for 4th of July plans in Miami-Dade County? Miami Patch has you covered. This year there is Fourth of July Weekend at Deering Estate, 63rd annual Key Biscayne 4th of July Parade, Fire on the Fourth Miami Beach and more. (Miami Patch)
Help us make this newsletter better!
We’ve been getting so much positive feedback about the Miami Daily that we’re starting to get a big head. Want to bring us back down to earth with some constructive feedback? If so, take our simple — and quick! — reader survey. Your feedback will help us make sure we’re covering the kind of local news, events and scuttlebutt you really care about. And it will help us toward our goal of being an indispensable local resource and the last email you’d ever unsubscribe from.
We’d be so appreciative of your feedback that, if you take the survey, we’ll enter your email address in a drawing for a small mountain of Patch swag. You know you want that tote bag — so click the link and give it to us straight. Thank you!
Today in Miami:
- Cultural Development Board Meeting at City of Coral Gables. (9 a.m.)
- KB Historical & Heritage Society Pop-up Museum. (10 a.m.)
- International Yoga Day 2022 at Miami Yoga Garage. (10 a.m.)
- Video Game Afternoons at Allapattah Branch Library. (3 p.m.)
- Sala’o Free Happy Hour Croquetas at Sala’o Cuban Restaurant & Bar. (4 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- New York-based JetBlue has made another offer to buy South Florida-based Spirit Airlines. The pitch is to acquire all of its common stock for $33.50 a share. The latest offer by JetBlue is $2 higher than the low-cost airline made on June 6. (Subscription: South Florida Business Journal)
- The Mega Job Fair is being held this week in Broward County and there are more than 8,000 jobs available from 100 different employers. (WPLG Local 10)
- Several Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews were called out Monday to the scene of a major hazmat situation in Doral over a chemical leak from a compressed gas tank connected to a truck. (CBS Miami)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Tuesday. See you all tomorrow for another update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Miami Daily? Contact me at email@example.com